Operations over OpenCart Categories
Each product in your store needs to be allocated to a category. Category includes products assigned to it on the basis of some criteria. OpenCart categories can in their turn be divided into subcategories of multiple levels. The whole set of main categories and child available in your store constitute OpenCart category tree.
Smartly-arranged category list makes navigation at your store much more convenient for you as online merchant and shoppers. It is like having products placed in correct sections and shelves at ordinary brick-and-mortar store: your clients will always know that they can buy T-Shirts in “Clothing”section rather than any other. This helps to save time spent on items search/selection and place the order instead of strolling about page after page.
Taking into account mentioned above, it is obvious that building “shelves” of your store should be one of initial steps.
Store Manager for OpenCart is the tool that makes your store management operations more efficient, performing changes directly from your desktop.
Categories section you can see on the left side of the window after you select the tab “Categories&Products” of the ribbon menu. Switching between the categories, on the right you will see products belonging to the selected categories.
Lets see what operations with categories are possible to perform using Store Manager.Basically, all the actions available for use can be called up from the toolbar or right-clicking at any category or subcategory.
Using the application you can:
- add new category to your store. You can make it independent parent category or child category assigning it to some main category (already existing one). Include all the relevant details like general information, description, images, seo information etc.
- edit category that you have created earlier. You can change all the details available for modification.
- remove selected category(ies) from the list. Pressing appropriate button you will see new window with a few options to select. You can choose whether to:
- delete selected categories with subcategories associated to them
- delete selected categories keeping subcategories listed in your store under root category
- delete categories and products associated to them.
- collapse or expand OpenCart category tree. This feature is useful when you have multiple-level category tree and can see its full or briefer list (where parent categories are shown and sub-categories are hidden).
- select all goods for further actions over them.
- show the column which indicates the number of products that belong to this or that category. This way adding new products to categories you will be able to place them in adequate number or remove categories with no products.
The functionality of categories section will be expanded further and other useful features will be added. Have any suggestions or questions you have concerning OpenCart categories and their management? Send them to us.