Bulk Import OpenCart Meta Details to Improve SEO
One of the most important things you can do in terms of OpenCart SEO practices is ensuring that you have accurate and optimized keyword-rich content with meta information indicated for each product in your catalog. If you have a lot of products, this would be very time consuming process to go through each item one by one. Thankfully, there is a much easier method to accomplish this in bulk!
Store Manager for OpenCart enables you to import OpenCart meta details, including meta titles, descriptions and keywords. So you don't have to go through tiresome process of adding/editing these details manually.
At the beginning, you need to download Store Manager for OpenCart to your Windows-based PC. There is fully-functional trial version available, allowing you to use the software free for 14 days without any payment details to indicate.
Installation is easy like for any desktop program. Basically you have to read and agree with Terms & Conditions and click a few times ‘Next’. When the app is installed and launched, you will see dummy database to play around or you can use Connection Wizard to work with your own data.
Further step will be work over your import file. In case products are already in database and you want to enrich them with OpenCart meta details, you can us export first. For update you need only field with unique products identifiers, plus fields to fill in meta.
The example of such file may be the following:
For new products you upload you might want to provide more details, like images, descriptions etc.
If you don’t want to spend too much time on typing in all details in file manually, you can use some existing details (product titles, description, attributes etc.) Just remember that it is advisable to have those values unique for proper SEO.
We will provide you more details on how is it possible to achieve in the corresponding section below.
Import OpenCart Meta Details
Now let’s go through configuration steps of import tool available in Store Manager for OpenCart.
- To call Export/Import Wizard press the button in product menu or context menu (appearing after right-click at any product record).
- To go through upload procedure, select ‘Import’.
- After that choose the file with meta-related columns from directory on your computer or using link (or link with special access) to it.
- Proceeding further you will be able to make sure that you have selected correct file and see if it is displaying properly on preview. In case columns messed up, try choosing some other symbol in delimiter field.
- At ‘Base formats’ step all the settings can be left as they are, as for meta details those settings will not be used or updated.
- Since Store Manager allows to work with files formatted differently, it tries to map some file columns to database fields. You can check this linkings and map data yourself.
- Preview mapped fields and check if there are any errors. Here you can also decide rows range (start and end row) in case you do not want to import all the records.
- Finally configure import method and other settings if necessary and proceed with upload itself.
Making Meta Details Unique
As it was mentioned above, if there are some missing details in your import file or you want to use some existing data for meta details, it is possible to fill them in on-the-fly at the same time making them unique.
At mapping step of Import Wizard there is special Expression field in front of each record of database field. You can use it for applying special formulas.
Let’s say, you don’t have meta title filled for your products. You would like to use products name and add some phrase with your shop name at the beginning of meta title. So you just need to open ‘Expression Editor’:
There input the following formula:
CONCAT ('Buy on Shopname', ' - ', [CSV_COL(INDEX)])
Instead of Shopname input yours and substitute INDEX with number of column from your file with product name.
The fields you can use and formulas you create create might be various, upon your desire.
After import is done, find any product for which you import OpenCart meta data, open tab ‘General’ of lower grid you see your imported/updated values for Meta Title, Meta Description and Meta Keyword.
Once you refine this process, it should only take around a few minutes to change the metadata for hundreds or even thousands of goods with Store Manager for OpenCart. Enjoy!