How to Import Excel Spreadsheets to OpenCart
Date: December 4th, 2013
If you are building a large store with OpenCart, adding products one by one can be long repetitive process. So if you have came across this article, then most likely that you are looking for solution to add goods in bulk from Excel spreadsheet with information listed there.
Since by default OpenCart does not include functionality for bulk upload, sooner or later, there will emerge the need to look for module or extension to perform the task. Taking into account the fact that usually store owners make listings for upload not themselves, but receive them from their suppliers, naturally, that you have to select application for import that will handle various file formats. This way you will save your time, as there will be no need to convert the file into supported format if, for example, supplier gives you file in Excel or XML instead of necessary CSV. Besides, when it is not possible to convert the file, you will have to find other means to perform the task and spend more.
Choose Store Manager for OpenCart to cut down expenses and efforts, as this all-in-one tool enables you not perform import from Excel, CSV, XML, TXT, ODS without additional re-formatting. Moreover, solution serves for faster managing operations and is enriched with multiple useful features.
In this tutorial we will guide you through the procedure of OpenCart excel import using Store Manager for OpenCart. The references to detailed instructions on how to import to OpenCart files othern than XLS, you will find at the end of this article.
You can use Excel file provider offered you without additional modifications and adjusting. Store Manager can import it “as is” without extra manual work. Besides, you can be sure that there will be no mistakes and data structure violations, comparing to manual file reformatting. All the steps of the procedure you will be guided via smart Import/Export Wizard of Store Manager for OpenCart.
Here are described the actions you will have to make to carry out the procedure:
1) Run Import/Export Wizard from “Store” tab of application’s ribbon menu, from Categories/Products grid or right-clicking at any of products.
2) Next you are able to choose whether you need to upload local file saved at your computer or the one from remote places and you have only HTTP link to it or FTP access details.
3) Select the sheet from which to take information for upload. As you know, in Excel there may be multiple sheets with information listed. If this is your case, you should perform separate imports for each sheet present in your file.
4) In your file there might be or not be headings, so for the mentioned purposes there exists option to check in order to indicate it. If you are not sure, at the same step there is a window that shows preview of data in your file.
5) Base formats and separators step allows to change settings for time and date formats as well as values to distinguish numbers.
6) This window enables you to select field that will be used as identifier ID, model, SKU or UPC. Moreover you have to link your database fields to CSV columns, indicating that information from this row of the file needs to be applied to that database field. This step was specially introduced for those store owners who have column headings different from database field names or file without column names at all. In case column names and database names coincide, you can use “Auto Link” option.
7) Preview if you have mapped data properly and if necessary indicate from what row start import and where to end it.
8) Set additional options like import method, settings concerning upload of manufacturer and category information as well as images.
9) Preview all the settings and in case you would like to save them for future uploads, you can set the name of configuration and hit “Save settings” button.
After you press “Import” button you will see progress bar informing you about the state and status of upload. At the final step you will see detailed logging of the process.
Undertake import to OpenCart of spreadsheets of other formats easily and without manual editing.
Read our related articles and find out how using Store Manager for OpenCart: