Update OpenCart Inventory Levels via Import
If you sell products online and receive orders, it means that the number of goods at your catalog is decreasing. Sooner or later the quantity will be approaching to 0 and in case you would like to continue offering the items(s) at your store, you have to fulfill your inventory levels.
It is cumbersome to manually check and update quantity for products that are running out of stock. So you can think about an accurate measurement and planning of your current inventory. This way you will not wait till the quantity lowers to critical point or face overstocking. The good idea is also maintaining of inventory levels for bulks of products that already exist in your database.
The typical stock-take scenarios are:
- Creating a list with quantity adjustments yourself
- Exporting inventory levels into spreadsheet, doing alterations and importing it back applying changes
- Receiving stock via suppliers or manufacturers
All of these 3 ways allow you update inventory levels for the list of products at once.
What You Need to Know Before You Begin?
- Always save a backup copy of your database with store information
- In your file you need to have at least one field serving as identifier. For new products it can be - Model, SKU, UPC, EAN etc. If the products is already created at your database, in addition to the mentioned fields you can use also ID to differentiate products.
- Spreadsheet with inventory changes need to be in the file of supported by your import tool format*.
Since Opencart back-end does not have built-in import method, you need the extension for performing the task. You can look for any at OpenCart Marketplace -http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=extension/extension
What to consider choosing OpenCart import extension? *File format. The most often used formats are xls and csv, however, your supplier or export tool may offer you spreadsheet formatted differently. That is why we are recommending Store Manager for OpenCart.
Store Manager supports data appending from CSV, XML, XLS, XLSX, TXT, ODS files without reformatting.
Import from CSV, XML, XLS, XLSX, TXT, ODS files!Try Free Now!
When the file for import is ready and Store Manager is installed at your computer (it is done in a few clicks), you can proceed with the following simple steps:
1) Run Import Wizard of Store Manager for OpenCart
2) Select file with inventory levels that will be used for data updates
3) Next you need to make necessary settings
- First of all, different files have different data and columns separators, so you need to indicate them.
- You also need to map columns with information from your file to database fields.
- Select the action to be performed during import - add new products from the file and modify existing, add only new, just modify stock levels and ignore new goods from spreadsheet or add all products as new.
Some of them were linked automatically, but in case your column headers are named specifically or just not identically to database names, you need to make associations.
Use import to update inventory levels for products which already exist at your store having only 2 columns in your file: product identifier (SKU etc) and Quantity.
Maintain your stock levels smartly and protect your business from overselling!